Friday, June 1, 2012

God Save the Queen

Patriotism in Lambeth
Look.  I'm no royalist or at least I didn't used to be.  I was born American.  I was brought up with the slogans of the Revolution "No taxation without representation," "All men are created equal" (except for the gay ones) and the idea that God doesn't pick leaders, the people do - unless you're the Pope or a Republican Party candidate.  Always seems to be loopholes...

Becoming a New Zealander nudged me slightly to the royalist side, because Elizabeth II is the Queen of New Zealand.  So, you have to accept that, but there's not a lot of contact between the Monarchy and it's most distant realm.  To a degree, New Zealand has moved on.  New Zealand's not becoming a republic any time soon, but royal visits to New Zealand don't draw the crowds they once did.  And, I've never been one to stand for hours waiting for The Queen to drive by.

All that said, propaganda works.

Since Rob and I arrived in London, The Queen's Diamond Jubilee has been a hot topic.  The Queen's been in the news almost daily whether it's the launching of the Royal Barge, the closing of all the Thames bridges or her latest visit to this little town or that London suburb on her Jubilee tour.
A couple of weeks ago, we were lucky enough to get great seats at the Jubilee Pageant out at Windsor - 550 horse and a cast of hundreds from throughout the Commonwealth.  It was quite a treat.

Along the Thames
"God Save the Queen" is becoming a familiar tune.  New Zealanders of a certain age know it well.   So, Rob can just belt it out, but I'm just learning.  The problem for me is that I can't get the words for "My Country 'Tis of Thee", out of my head.  When I hear the music and everyone stands to sing the British National Anthem, I can't help thinking "My country 'tis of thee, Sweet land of liberty...  but that's a story of American propaganda...

Anyway, over the past week or so, Jubilee fever has been building.  This weekend is THE weekend.  The big celebration to mark the Queen's 60th year on the throne peaks during this extra long weekend.

The big show is the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant on Sunday.  The Queen and a thousand boats of all shapes and sizes will parade down a seven mile stretch of the Thames.  And, 2 million people are expected to line the river banks to watch.  Then, there is going to be quite the party outside Buckingham Palace, not to mention the concerts, the festivals, the fireworks, the parades, street parties and much much more planned throughout Great Britain.  

Raising The Union Jack on The Mall
Union Jacks are flying everywhere - on taxis, from windows, over school yards, along lamp posts - everywhere.  Kids are dressed with flags and Jubilee accented costumes and hats.  Shops, pubs and houses are laced with bunting.  I noticed toilet paper packaged in Union Jack packaging at Sainsbury's today.  And, yesterday, to my delight I walked into the changing room at the gym only to be confronted by a trainer in his Union Jack bowler hat.  It was classy kitsch and I reached for my iPhone.  But then remembered people get arrested for taking photos like that.  

Let's just say the patriotism is oozing all around us.  And, boy, is it working it's propaganda magic!  Even the non-Brits are buying in.  This morning someone I live with who shall remain nameless wondered aloud if perhaps he should wear the red shirt with the white jacket accented by a blue handkerchief.  It would be very patriotic he said.  I had to break the news that we weren't British.

I know, I know, New Zealand has the same colours and the same Queen, but that wasn't what he meant.

Still, I know how he feels.  I'm starting to tear up when I hear God Save the Queen or see the crowds cheering as she makes her way around her realm.  And, I was quite shocked last night when talking to a friend in New Zealand.  She announced that there was little interest in the Jubilee there.

OMG!  Doesn't 60 years as Queen of New Zealand mean anything to those colonists?

Um, I mean, New Zealanders.

I can't say my nascent royalist phase has reached a stage that will drive me into the those crowds along the river just to catch a very short glimpse of Her Majesty.  I hate crowds.  I may check out a pub or street party, though.  And who knows, maybe by Wednesday next week, I'll have forgotten the words to "My Country 'Tis of Thee."

3 comments:

  1. She was crowned in 1953! That's not even 60 yrs! I guess when you're the Queen you can decide when you want your party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but she became Queen upon her Father's death in 1952. Her Coronation was in 1953, but that was simply process.

      Delete
  2. Wish we were there - got our timing all wrong didn't we? Thank goodness for UKTV and Sky recording.

    ReplyDelete