Tuesday, May 8, 2012

History by Google and English Heritage

Corner of Collingham Gardens and Laverton Place, London
I see Google is commemorating the birth of Howard Carter on their search page today, 9 May.

When we arrived in London and were staying briefly in Collingham Gardens in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (can you get a longer city name?), I came across this sign.

We'd been there a few days before I discovered that the curse of the mummy was just a few doors down.

Once noticed, though, I now see these little historical gems from English Heritage everywhere.  They pop up on buildings all over town and they make a simple walk to the supermarket, the bank or the park an interesting walk through history.

Admittedly, I often have to use 'the Google' to have any clue as to who was what.


No comments:

Post a Comment