Thursday, May 10, 2012

London Landmines

There I was, walking home from the gym this morning.  I had stopped at Sainsbury's to pick up a few things and was heading back to the flat when it happened.  I crossed the street, stepped on to the opposite footpath and - BAM! - it happened.

Cold and moist shot across the top of my Nike Frees, into my socks and up over the bottom of my jeans.  God damn it!  I had stepped on yet another London Landmine.  I just can't seem to avoid these nasty little surprises in the footpath.

You see, most London footpaths are paved with assorted materials like stones, tiles, or bricks.  They add character to this wonderful old city.  Unfortunately, though, it seems rain - and we've had floods of that - undermines some of them and water sits under them just waiting for an unsuspecting pedestrian like me to step on them.  Then, they explode with water, mud, muck and sometimes worse flying everywhere.

I was lucky today.  I only hit one loaded with water.  The first time one got me a few weeks back, mud shot out and all over the bottom of my shoes and trousers.  That was not a pretty sight.  Although, three young guys sitting on a bench outside the nearby college thought it was pretty funny.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much though, I'm lucky we aren't living in China where the pavement traps are a little more dramatic...



No comments:

Post a Comment