Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Living My Antiques Dream

David Dickinson's Real Deal at Chiswick
I walked into reception and started looking around.  There was a sign pasted on the wall that warned that cameras were in operation and if you did not want to be filmed you should tell someone.  Hmm, what's that about?  I looked over some of the items in the cases and made my way to the door leading into the next room.

On that door there was another sign.  This one had a picture of a guy at one of the showcases in reception.  It asked if anyone knew this "thief".  I thought, I bet he's sorry he didn't ask not to be filmed.

There wasn't much in that room and it was kind of dark, so on to the next room I went.  And, there I discovered what the filming signs were about.  I heard his distinctive voice first and then I saw the well known face of UK antiques reality shows, David Dickinson.  They were filming Dickinson's Real Deal at the Chiswick Auctions today.

I've always had an interest in collecting things old and in particular things old with a story.  I'm always dragging Rob into antiques shops against his will.  I have even been known to take road trips just to visit shops.  I do those on my own, although I have been known to hijack parts of holidays with Rob.  But, oddly, I'd never been to a general auction even though most of British antique reality shows I'm somewhat addicted to like Cash in the Attic, Bargain Hunt and Dickinson's Real Deal always end up in an auction room.  Since arriving in London, my inadequacy in things auction has been reinforced by my discovery of Antiques Road Trip which has quickly become my favourite TV show.  It combines antique shops with travel through the British countryside and it too always ends up in auction rooms - heaven.


London's Chiswick Auctions
So, for the purposes of self improvement, I decided today was the day.  I was heading to this antiques mecca to see for myself.  I got there an hour before the auction was due to start so that I could have a good look around.  It was all quite exciting.  There wasn't much in my price range that I was interested in and nothing I had to have, but I did find a photograph album which I might want at the right price.

So, I went back to reception and registered to bid.  By the time I got back to the auction room, most of the seats were filled.  I found a seat at the back, which was good, because while I didn't want to be a spoil sport and ask not to be filmed, I didn't really want to be on air.

By the time the auction started, the place was packed.  There was a particularly large standing crowd at the entrance where I had noticed yet another sign.  This one said that you were not to congregate around that door way during the auction due to the filming that was going on.   There were a lot of signs with a lot of rules, but no one seemed much interested.

Chiswick Auctions Sale Room
The film crew were doing their thing.  The auction house staff were preparing for their own show and promptly at 12 noon, the proceedings began.  It was all quite exciting.  Bid, bid, bid, then bang went the hammer.  In five minutes we were through the first 15 items.  I hadn't realised how fast things moved.

They started getting into the items that were part of Real Deal.  One by one the film crew would take people from the bidding audience over to the set where David would talk to them a bit.  Then you'd hear his voice booming across the room as he did the play by play of that person's item going under the hammer.  It got to be a bit annoying actually, because there were times you could hear David but not the auctioneer.

It quickly became evident that they were filming segments for more than one show and about a quarter of the people in the room were sellers associated with the show rather than bidders.

My item was number 122 and by 12:50 it was time.  I was ready to roll, but still not sure I really wanted it.  It was one of those things, I could have, but didn't need to have.  My heart rate rose. The adrenaline was pumping.  The auctioneer said he had a commission bid and started bidding at £12.  Really?  I rechecked the catalogue.  It had an estimate of £40 - 80.  That's pretty good, I thought.  Next thing I heard was 18, bang, and it was sold.

Oops, I guess I need to be quicker - more action, less thinking.

William Rouse Chiswick Auctions Auctioneer
I would have paid more, but I was only slightly disappointed by my fail to fire moment.  I really didn't need it.  Or did I?

Anyway, I stuck around for another hour watching the action and even then they were less than half the way through the catalogue.  I was interested to learn that many items went for under their estimates.  Slightly more were within estimates and a few went over much to the delight of some of the Real Deal sellers.

All in all, it was an eye opening London day out.  I will be going back.  I reckon, these auctions could become a regular activity.  I can't wait to tell Rob!

1 comment:

  1. Just be careful about waving to friends while you're at an auction...

    ReplyDelete